Following controversy surrounding senior judicial analyst Andrew Napolitano’s unconfirmed claims regarding British intelligence wiretapping of Donald Trump at the request of Barack Obama, Fox News has made the decision to bench the judge according to reports.
Stating that Obama had ‘outside the chain of command‘ to order surveillance of then presidential candidate Donald Trump, Judge Napolitano alleged that three unnamed sources were able to confirm the former president had been working a British foreign surveillance agency.
The controversial allegations which were made last Tuesday prompted Britain’s Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) to respond by stating that the claims were absolute “nonsense” and “utterly ridiculous.” As a result, Fox News has been forced to distance itself from Napolitano and his assertions which the network was unable to corroborate.
Fox News has now pulled Napolitano from the network and is keeping him off the air indefinitely, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“People familiar with the situation who could speak only on the condition of anonymity said Napolitano is not expected to be on Fox News Channel any time in the near future,” the Times reported Monday.
However, a Fox News source told Mediaite that Napolitano has not been suspended from the network.
It is unclear if Napolitano not being suspended equates to him being kept off the air indefinitely.
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer cited Napolitano’s reporting last week to support Trump’s claims that Obama wiretapped Trump Tower in Manhattan during the 2016 campaign.
Trump brought up the claims on Friday during his joint press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. When a reporter asked the president about his wiretapping accusations, Trump replied, “You shouldn’t be talking to me; you should be talking to Fox News.”
Trump also called Napolitano “a very talented lawyer.”
Thoughts on Judge Napolitano’s claims? Let us know in the comment section below.